Monday, June 20, 2005

Refugees


In front of my tilting cage that little hut of plastics, so not to suffer from loneliness, I travelled far and wide all in my thought. I went back to the remote past, our home and its vicinities, grandma and her stories of my great grandfather, those mighty warriors from whom I inherited intolerance and pride. I travelled far and wide all in my thought. I went far into the future, into my dreams and high hopes. To see what was there, where this changeless passage of time, where this endless kick of my heels, could possibly one day lead. I travelled far and wide, all in my though I also travelled to eternity, to see my soul at the end of this mess. I travelled far and wide, All in my thought.

Today is World Refugee Day. This poem by Giddi Abamegal, an Oromo refugee in Kenya, is published in Tilting Cages: A Collection of Refugee Writings, edited by Noomi Flutter and Carl Solomon. The photograph of Kenyan refugees is by Sebastiao Salgado (The Children, Aperture Books, 2000).

 Posted by Hello

No comments: